Thursday, June 20, 2024

New Summer Staff - 2024


With the arrival of summer comes the arrival our summer students! Here is your opportunity to meet the first few of them below... 


First up we have Emily, who will and helping us with our marketing and outreach!

Hi! I’m Emily, and I graduated from M.U.N with a Bachelor’s in English, History, and Political Science. Currently, I’m working on a diploma in Creative Writing.
If someone asks me what I do, I always consider myself a writer first. In February of this year, I published my first historical fiction novel “Barber, Black Sheep” under the pen name Ann Neville. This is set in England, 1870, and it is the first book in a series following interconnected characters as they navigate adventures and troubles that parallel the 21st century in more ways than might be expected.
“Living History” is an important method of research for me, and I believe that one of the best ways to explore the past is through tangible objects. If I’m not reading, I can often be found studying antiques, incorporating historical dress into my daily life, baking old recipes, or outside scribbling in a notebook because I just had an idea for a story. I’m excited to spend my summer here at Admiralty House and learn as much as I possibly can!


Next we have Abby, who is going to help us with our programming and events!

Hello! I’m Abby, one of the new museum assistants at Admiralty House Communications Museum for the summer. I have just finished the fourth year of my BA, as a history honours student with a minor in folklore. I specialize in British Imperial-ish and gender history, with a particular interest in how gender defined and dictated imperial relations, especially here on the island. In my free time I enjoy reading, especially comic books, walking, 1000+ piece jigsaw puzzles, and audio drama podcasts. I am very passionate about public history, and I’m excited for this opportunity to discuss a fascinating aspect of Newfoundland’s past with you this summer!







Our third addition is Victoria, who is going to be working with our archival collection! 

Hello! I’m Victoria, a Museum Assistant at Admiralty House. I study folklore and archaeology and I love anything to do with material culture and people. During my studies I’ve had the opportunity to work a few different heritage positions, in which the work is always interesting and the people are even more so. My favorite part of working in the heritage sector is seeing peoples stories told through objects, art, and pictures. I believe that telling stories is an important part of keeping history alive, with the added benefit of participation from the general public. In Newfoundland, the public is the history. Some of my favorite stories are about ghost ships, family gatherings, and fairies. Working in collections means I get to discover and piece together stories, discover connections, and interact with people whose families were an active part in the Newfoundland community. It also means I get to look at a lot of old photos which, to me, is the coolest thing ever. Newfoundland is rich with history and filled with more than enough people who want to tell the stories of the past. Your grandmother, aunt, dad, mom, friend and neighbor all have a story to tell and you should absolutely listen to them!

Stay tuned for more staff updates throughout the summer!!


No comments:

Post a Comment